Yes, you can buy tomato sauce in almost any store, so why bother making one of your own? With this homemade sauce you get an amazing opportunity to go to a farmers’ market, shake the hand of the dedicated farmer who brings food to you and then buy some overripe, red and delicious tomatoes.
That impact alone is, in my opinion, transformational.
Bonus points why you need to do tomato sauce – because you can read and understand all the ingredients in it compared to the store bought ones.
- 500g red ripe tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 red capsicum, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed 1/2 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup tomato paste, optional
- 2 tbsp maple syrup, or as much as you want
- 1/2 cup water
- 10ml #JOY
- Add the ingredients to a pot on medium.
- Allow the sauce to simmer with the lid on for about 20-35 minutes or until all the liquid has evaporated. When done, let the sauce rest for a few minutes.
- Transfer to your blender and blend until smooth.
- Store in a glass jar and keep in the fridge for up to 10 days.
Enjoy! Visit my YouTube channel for other recipes like this with videos.
From my kitchen to yours,
Chef Cynthia Louise xx