I have a confession to make. I don’t know how to bake, but sometimes I like to pretend I’m great at it. My go-to recipe in these moments is Fig Banana Loaf. I love it because it’s very simple and I can easily prepare its sticky and delicious to satisfy my sweet tooth in a matter of minutes.
Gluten-Free, Moist, Delicious, And Best Of All – Nutritious
Desserts and sweets don’t always equal evil. This is one of the common misconceptions we hear these days. What I try to show to all the people who visit our retreats is that as long as we use ingredients from nature, with as little human interference as possible, we give our bodies what they need.
This Fig Banana Loaf recipe is no different from any other wholefood recipe – it is delicious but most importantly, it gives your body proper nutrition. It is indeed sweet but all its sweetness is coming from nature, not from industrially processed sugars that clog our bodies.
And if you check the ingredient list, you’ll see that it’s pretty simple. I used some ripe bananas for the silky texture. Then dried figs and dates for sweetness and coconut to infuse the loaf with some exotic flavours. To bring all of this glory together, I added some fresh apple juice, coconut oil, and gluten-free flour. And that’s basically it!
Since the loaf is pretty moist and juicy, I wanted to add a bit of crunchy texture to it, so I sprinkled it with coconut sugar, which got caramelised during baking and created a yummy crust.
Now, I just want you to imagine a toasted slice of this fig banana loaf topped with jam or almond butter (check out the recipe for homemade nut butter). Or any other nut butter you like. It’s epic, I know!
Fig Banana Loaf Recipe!
- 1 cup Mashed Bananas
- 5-6 Dried Figs, chopped
- A handful of Dried Dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup Shredded Coconut
- 2/3 cup Fresh Apple Juice
- A pinch of Salt
- 1 cup Coconut Oil
- 1 1/2 cup Bob Mills Gluten-Free Flour, sifted or any flour
- 2 tsp Bob Mills Baking Powder
- Coconut Sugar, for topping
- Preheat your oven to 180C/350F.
- Line a loaf tin with baking paper and set aside.
- Mix together the bananas, figs, dates, and shredded coconut.
- Gradually pour in the apple juice and continue mixing. Sprinkle in a pinch of salt.
- Add the coconut oil and continue mixing until the ingredients start coming together.
- Stir the baking powder into the flour.
- Gradually add the flour to the mixture of wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- Transfer the mixture to the tin, sprinkle with coconut sugar and bake for 40 minutes.
- Allow to rest before serving. Enjoy!
Prep time: 5 mins
Baking time: 40 mins
C, GF, RSF, GF, DF, VEG, V
So, how would you rate this recipe? Did you pair it up with something other than nut butter? Did you replace dates with some other dried fruit? Share your baking adventures with me in the comments below the Fig Banana Loaf video recipe! And don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube channel to get notifications whenever I have new recipes to share.
With love, from my kitchen to yours,
Chef Cynthia Louise xx