There Is Something Really Special About These Vegan Sweetcorn Fritters
If you ever wanted to learn how to make corn fritters, you are at the right place.
This is the easiest possible way to make delicious and healthy sweetcorn fritters that you can eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner, in a wrap, use it as a burger patty and so on.
One Balinese lady taught me how to make these long time ago. These fritters are really yummy but what makes them different from other fritter recipes is that they are crunchy and juicy at the same time. The surface is nicely browned and crispy and hides a juicy inside enriched with a fusion of Asian fragrances. A very special aroma comes from kaffir lime leaves – check out the video on my YouTube channel to find out my trick of storing kaffir lime leaves and keeping them fresh for long.
The recipe is simple – chuck everything into your food processor, pulse for just a couple of times to bring the ingredients together, throw the batter to a hot grill and the fritters will be ready in a couple of minutes.
Chef’s Secret For Gluten-Free Sweetcorn Fritters
What’s cool about this recipe is that you don’t need to add any eggs to bring the ingredients together into a batter. The flour I usually use in not gluten-free, so all the starch from it and the corn keeps everything together.
But if you want to use GF flour, there is a chance that your corn fritters will not really hold well. But, gluten-intolerant peeps out there, I have a solution for you!
You still don’t need to use any eggs because there is this beautiful plant called psyllium and whose husks are an extremely good egg replacement. So, what you will have to do is mix a teaspoon or two of psyllium in the batter and let it sit to absorb all the moisture.
Healthy Sweetcorn Fritters Recipe!
- 2 Corn Cobs, kernels removed
- A bunch of Fresh Coriander*
- 1-2 Kaffir Lime Leaves, finely chopped
- 3 Spring Onions, finely chopped**
- 1 Red or Green Chili, thinly chopped
- 1 big Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- ½ cup All Purpose Flour***
- ⅓ cup Water
- Salt, to taste
- Black Pepper, to taste
- Coconut Oil, for frying
- A pinch of #EASEANDFLOW
*Use any other herbs of your choice
**Use only green part
***You can use gluten-free flour instead
- Add everything except the flour and water to your food processor.
- Pulse for a few seconds and then add the flour and pour in the water.
- Season with salt and pepper and process until a batter is formed (don’t overmix it).
- Heat a BBQ plate, grill or frying pan and brush it with some coconut oil.
- Ladle the batter on the hot pan (use ⅓ cup as a measure) and fry until golden brown.
- Flip and continue frying until cooked through.
Prep time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
C, RSF, NF, DF, VEG, V
If you have some forgotten corns in your fridge, don’t miss out on an opportunity to make these delicious and healthy sweetcorn fritters! Feel free to experiment and add some other herbs and spices, or serve them with some greens and veggies in a wrap.
My husband Scott and I love to eat these fritters with my homemade sweet chili sauce or some mashed avocados with lime juice, chili flakes, and lemongrass.
Don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube Channel and tell me your sweetcorn fritters stories.
From my kitchen to yours,
Chef Cynthia Louise xx