This is Vegetarian Lentil Soup that’s going to rock your world. Seriously!
It’s very versatile, affordable and easy to make. When I think about this soup, I immediately think of students. You know when kids leave home and they don’t know how to cook because moms used to take care of everything; this is for your kids.
The ingredients are also super cheap, and you can feed 6 people with this amount.
Lentils For A Vegetarian Soup Of Epic Glory
Let’s jump straight into this, shall we?
We start by sweating onions and garlic. There is something about the fragrance of fried onions and garlic, it’s as if when your nose catches this smell, your taste buds immediately go “where’s food, where’s food”.
The trick here is to pull out the flavours and sugars by sweating the onions, not browning them.
When the flavours are out there, it’s the perfect timing for lentils to join the party.
Now, the lentils are best if they are soaked overnight first. Why?
They will be cooked faster but also because… Well, you can read more in the blog about soaking beans and legumes.
This vegetarian lentil soup is packed with veggie power, so I’ll add carrots and celery too and leave this to simmer until the lentils are completely soft.
The final kick of flavours will come from zucchini and tomatoes.
Visit my YouTube channel and check out the video to see how Scott and I combined all of these amazing ingredients into a totally epic vegetarian lentil soup.
Vegetarian Lentil Soup Recipe!
- Olive Oil, for cooking
- 1 Brown Onion, diced
- 4 Garlic Cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup Brown Lentils, soaked overnight
- 2 medium Carrots, finely chopped
- 1 stalk Celery, finely chopped
- 1L Water
- 1 large Zucchini, finely chopped
- 2 Tomatoes, roughly chopped
- ½ bunch of Fresh, Flat-Leaf Parsley, roughly chopped, for garnishing
- Salt, to taste
- Black Pepper, to taste
- Preheat a pot on medium-high and drizzle in some oil.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook until translucent.
- Season with salt and pepper and continue cooking for one more minute.
- Add the lentils, carrot, and celery to the pot, stir and pour in the water.
- Taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Bring to the boil, reduce to a simmer and cook with a lid on for 30 minutes.
- When the lentils are cooked through, stir in the zucchini and tomatoes and cook on high heat for 5 more minutes.
- Garnish with the parsley, serve and ENJOY!
Soaking time: overnight
Prep time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
C, DF, GF, NF, RSF, VEG, V
If this recipe turned your world around and you fell in love with lentils, I bet Mung Bean Detox Soup will blow your mind away. Try it out. I love my soups but this is one of the best. Another special one is Curried Lentils that I teach in my online cooking classes.
And that’s wholefood for you – no tricks, no dieting, no restrictions, just food straight from nature prepared to serve your organs.
From my kitchen to yours,
Chef Cynthia Louise xx