Charred Corn Salad with Salsa Dressing, it’s the salad for all occasions
I’ll just say it – I love this salad and I love the fact that I know you will love it too.
An epic bowl of goodness from nature – that’s the only way to describe it!
Preparing this salad is a unique experience for me, as it creates a very homely atmosphere where you are somewhere outside with friends, corns are on the grill sizzling, you are chopping some veggies… And that’s what wholefood has done to me; it gets me closer to nature, opens up all my senses and makes me stay in the present.
There is something about home-cooked food that makes it special, it has a different type of energy and that’s for me the ultimate feeling of being healthy.
Charred Corn & Salsa Dressing = A Fiesta of Flavours
Grilling corn will take some time, so I start with heating my BBQ plate or grill (a regular frying pan will do the trick too) and giving it a generous splash of coconut oil. Then I arrange corn cobs and let them sizzle until they get charred and turn to a beautiful brown colour. I love when the fragrance of corns starts filling in the kitchen while I prepare the rest of the ingredients.
The salsa dressing for this salad is really packed with flavours – fresh, crunchy capsicums, tomatoes, spicy jalapenos, and fragrant coriander. This is all brought together by the glory of zesty lime juice, cumin and our building blocks of flavour – salt and pepper.
The key thing with this salsa is to make it chunky, so don’t process for long, the best to do is just a couple of times to combine the flavours but still keep the texture.
Mix Everything Together… Use Your Hands!
The colours of this corn salad are so inviting! There is the yellow corn with charred bits, fresh and red salsa dressing and now you need to prepare the green part. For the greens, you can use baby spinach, rocket, kale, or green salad mix. Since the salad is really fresh and cleansing, I like to add some avocado fats and nicely grilled asparagus for texture.
Add your coconut-infused, charred corn to this, flood it with the salsa and start mixing and having fun. Some of my friends don’t really like using their hands when preparing food but this makes you so mindful and grateful. Try it!
Charred Corn Salad With Salsa Dressing Recipe!
For the Salad:
- Coconut Oil, for frying
- 5 Corn Cobs, whole
- A bunch of Asparagus, grilled and sliced into pieces
- 2 bunches of Baby Spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/2 bunch of Coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 Avocado, cut into bite-size pieces
For the Salsa:
- 3 Capsicums (green, red, and yellow)
- 2 Tomatoes, roughly chopped
- A handful of Coriander, roughly chopped
- 100 grams Jalapeno
- 2 Limes, juiced
- 1 Tbsp Cumin Powder
- Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
- 1-2 packets of Corn Chips
To prepare the salad:
- Preheat a pan on medium-high and add coconut oil.
- Add the corn cobs and grill until golden brown on all sides.
- Set aside to cool down. Remove the corn kernels and set aside.
- Add the asparagus to the same pan and cook for only a minute. Set aside.
- Combine the corn kernels and asparagus with the spinach, coriander, and avocado.
To prepare the salsa:
- Add the ingredients to a food processor and pulse until combined. Don’t overmix, the salsa should be chunky.
- Pour into a bowl, add some corn chips and serve with the salad.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 20-35 mins
C*, R**, GF, RSF, DF, NF, VEG, V
C* For the salad
R** For the salad
I usually serve my charred corn salad with some crunchy corn chips but my friends also like it with my homemade flatbread.
Check out the video on my YouTube channel to see how much fun we had while preparing this salad and for some additional tips.
With love from my kitchen to yours,
Chef Cynthia Louise xx